Introduction to DESY
DESY, with its more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
DESY is a world leading accelerator laboratory providing brilliant X-ray radiation to the national and international scientific community. In addition, the technology to build and operate these light sources is developed by DESY. Currently, DESY plans the upgrade of the PETRA III synchrotron storage ring into the ultra small emittance, diffraction-limited light source PETRA IV providing hard X-ray beams of unprecedented coherence that can be focused down into the nanometre-regime. The Sustainability Unit offers an exciting opportunity for an ambitious person who strives with us to develop PETRA IV in the most sustainable and energy efficient way.
About your role:
- Assessment of the energy consumption of PETRA IV and different approaches to reduce it by the use of new accelerator technologies (permanent magnets; injection systems; plasma technologies; advanced RF systems, climatisation, ventilation, lighting and others)
- Assessment of the emission of climate affecting substances, especially CO2, point out ways to reduce the emissions
- Simulation of energy dissipations to identify loss pathways
- Development of an Energy-Efficiency-Review process
- Identification of critical materials being used in technological components
- Masters degree in environmental engineering, accelerator physics or equivalent experience in an appropriate branch of physics or engineering
- Expertise in accelerator technologies
- Expertise in identifying energy efficiency potentials and in life cycle management
- Expertise in simulations and optimisation of technical systems
- Expertise in CO2 accounting
- Very good analytical and conceptual skills
- Confident demeanour and communication skills
- Ability to confidently formulate technical texts
- Didactic skill in conveying sustainability and environmental information
16th January 2022.
For further information please contact Denise Völker at +49 40 8998-4414 (firstname.lastname@example.org).